The best projects I have worked on involved core project teams, part-time members, contracted resources from all over the world and various vendors and service providers that created a “melting pot” of folks working on one initiative to get the job done. The most critical part of working remotely is… Communications! There can be challenges and many assumptions from a team of people who are working from a remote location, but I would like to share with you how to mitigate challenges and how to ensure the “beat goes on” as if you were all together in one big office building…
- It is important to create a sense of collaboration and team effort among the team members.
- Resist the temptation to assume everyone is always on the same page, and instead continue to develop your ongoing activities that build communication.
- Remember that strong communication lines can be the difference of a project success and a project failure.
- Always develop and manage a remote project the same way you would an on-site project and that includes regular meetings and promote information sharing with your team and members. This measure is a key that creates collaboration and success!
- Work in a comfortable area… whether it’s your favorite coffee shop, work sharing co-op place, or from your home office space.
- Maintain updated meeting minutes, logs of issues and risks.
Stay tuned as I continue to bring great tips on working remotely…
Loretta Rose|President of Projeto Management & Training Solutions